Sunday, April 6, 2008

an unwanted memory

I was driving to work yesterday listening to the radio (yes, I still have a radio with only a cassette player in it ~)  I heard this song...at first I really didn't pay attention to the lyrics, but something about it caught my ear, or should I say stirred up a memory I didn't care to remember.  These memories are from almost 20 years ago.  Even though it has been that long, the pictures that the words arouse within my head are still sharp. They still make me wince. They still mean I'm afraid.  It still marks my ability to trust.  Especially when it comes to alcohol/drinking.  I was sitting there once I started really listening and it was like my breathing suspended...it slowed, I became hyper aware in a way like I was in a long, long tunnel looking at something that should have long ago left me alone.  But some wounds don't heal completely and I don't know if this ever will.  I'm extremely grateful for Cindy in situations like this and I realize how very lucky and blessed I am to have her love.  She helps keep the demons at bay and in their place in the murkiness of past memories.
 
Straight/Heterosexual readers? don't EVER think that domestic abuse doesn't occur within lesbian/gay relationships, it does and at a alarming rate.  Take it from me I was one of those. I have changed a few of the words to make it from a female point of view...
 
"Never Again"
by
Nickelback
 
She's drunk again, it's time to fight
She must have done something wrong tonight
The living room becomes a boxing ring
It's time to run when you see her
Clenching her hands
She's just a woman
Never Again

I hear her scream, from down the hall
Amazing she can even talk at all
She cries to me, Go back to bed
I'm terrified that she'll wind up
Dead in her hands, She's just a woman
Never Again

Been there before, but not like this
Seen it before, but not like this
Never before have I ever
Seen it this bad
She's just a woman
Never Again

Just tell the nurse, you slipped and fell
It starts to sting as it starts to swell
She looks at you, she wants the truth
It's right out there in the waiting room
With those hands
Lookin just as sweet as she can
Never Again

Seen it before, but not like this
Been there before, but not like this
Never before have I ever
Seen it this bad
She's just a woman
Never Again

Father's a name you haven't earned yet
You're just a child with a temper
Haven't you heard "Don't hit a lady"?
Kickin ' your ass would be a pleasure

She's drunk again, it's time to fight
Same old shyt, just on a different night
She grabs the gun, she's had enough
Tonight she'll find out how f**king
Tough is this woman
Pulls the trigger as fast as she can
Never Again

Seen it before, but not like this
Been there before, but not like this
Never before have I ever
Seen it this bad
She's just a woman
Never Again

 
 

               

 

                                 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post, I've seen abusive relationships amongst my gay friends, people forget it happens to them to, and is just as damaging. Your times now with Cindy are much happier, and when you look back they are joyous memories.

Take care

Yasmin
xx

Anonymous said...

I had never thought about abuse crossed all through types of realtionships. Don't no why,I smart (enough), I'm a nurse and seen plenty.  And lots in my personal life, too.  Drinking sure doesn't bring out the best in people does it?  I am so happy you have love & peace with Cindy in your life.  hugs,  Bethe

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you had to go through what was an obviously bad time for you.  Abuse in any form in unpardonable in my opinion.
Hugs to you, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwww Teresa, sorry you had an unwanted memory stirred up, sending Hugs your way , Love Ya Lisa

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about this Teresa.  Life sure stinks sometimes.  I am so glad that you have Cindy and the boys now.  It's funny how music can instantly transport us to a distant time and place in our minds.  Sometimes that can be a very pleasant experience, and other's not so.  It's a very powerful thing.  (((hugs)))
love,
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I need to pay better attention to lyrics..
thanks for sharing..
Lyn

Anonymous said...

I know a lot of people don't like to remember past memories, however, I think by trying to forget those memories, we forget who we've become because of those experiences.  Have a good day!
Missie

Anonymous said...

so sorry that you have to live out those memories again.  I am very happy you have Cindy to help you deal with it.  linda

Anonymous said...

I heard that song for the first time recently and turned it off halfway through. Some ghosts I don't want to revisit. --Love, Cin

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie,  I was tagged and I was wondering if you'd like to play along?  

See my entry~>
http://journals.aol.com/sunnybethe/palm-harbor/entries/2008/04/07/tagged/2493

hugs,  Bethe

Anonymous said...

((Hugs)) We've both been there hon. Me? I use my memories to remember and remind myself never again. Lyrics such as the song by Nickelback stay with me, they let me know my story isn't a lonely one. There are so many more who still haven't escaped that life. You, Cin and I are a few of the lucky ones. I just wrote in my last entry how I still live with the ghost, now however I don't have the alcohol to drown them out. Your in my thoughts dear friend. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I like that song ~ really does strike a message but bless you (((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) i cannot begin to imagine what it does to you xx

Jenny

http://journals.aol.co.uk/Jmoqueen/MyLife

Anonymous said...

I have that CD and have heard that song.  It does change it when you insert woman in the lyrics.  I was one of those women also T.  I never actually got hit, but my walls sure did, and when they did it scared the crap out of me.  I actually left my "hubby", yes I said "hubby" and thank God I did.  Never again for me.  
Love you,
Connie

Anonymous said...

I guess we're both bringing up some ghosts fro the past-actually it sounds like alot of us have been visiting them of late.  The creation of the lives we lead now are influenced by those ghosts and they serve a purpose, even a reminder for the gratitude we have for our lives now.
                                        Blessings,  Leigh

Anonymous said...

you found the strenght to get out, stay strong girl !