Friday, September 12, 2008

update on Mr. Ike

                   

 

Ok, Mr. Ike is looking wicked...very wicked...as in ~ "something wicked this way comes" ~ it's not going to hit eastern TX. BUT it is going to slam into Galveston/Houston area smack on and probably at a Category 3...then it will sweep up and around and right over us.  At the moment we are under a Tropical Storm Warning - winds are expected 70 mph or thereabouts with 10 inches of rain or so expected, gosh knows whatever else.
 
 
 
 
My best friend Terry & her Partner Dar won't evacuate, Terry has M/S... Dar is one of the head honchos with a huge hi tech corp here and they won't let them get further than 3 hours away... plus I think they are clueless as far as the true damage a hurricane like Ike can do ~ when they say there is "imminent death possible" if you stay... that's no joke.  In 1983 Hurricane Alicia hit Galveston, killed over 1500 people...in 1900 one hit, killed over 6000.  Galveston is going to be under water. period.  Small or large amount of water it's going to be under and anyone staying has a very high chance of not surviving.
Here is Ike as of this moment...
 
Note:  there are over 5 million people in the Houston/Galveston area... Galveston is only 56 miles from where my friends live.  Because it's not in a "flood zone" (the area they are) they are only allowing the people from Galveston etc. to evacuate till this afternoon, then they will allow the people from Houston leave if they want...the govt. is telling these people to "hunker down" and ride out the storm.  If there are death's because of this "hunkering down" I hope the govt. get's their asses sued off.  People are bringing their livestock and pets into this area so the local ranches and bigger areas that can handle it are allowing them to put the cattle/horses etc. on their land.  Remember, this is Texas...there are LOTS of horses and cattle.  Not to mention the pets.  I worry so much about these people and their "children"  (yes horses and cows and donkeys are "children")  not to mention some are extremely valuable monetarily wise.
All Ike needs is 11 more miles per hour to become a category 3 hurricane.
I'm worried about us too!  we have a huge amount of trees around us and with these winds we are just hoping that one doesn't blow down on the house, or that we lose electricity...Lares/Draco & Kissy are already feeling the "energy' in the air.  There will most definitely be flooding and I have to work Saturday!! ughhhh.
Okay, I'm going for now...pray for the people in the path of Ike...and that there aren't any deaths.
Blessings*
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worry about you all and pray for Ike to dissipate. I have friends in Houston area also. Stay safe no matter what- Love Dannelle

Anonymous said...

HI Girls~I'm glad you have those new windows.  I do wish Terry & Dar reconsidor evacutating.  Ike is still pulling air and humidity from all the way over here.  This one is scaring me. Not for me of course, but as you said the people and animals in Texas.  Stay safe. And if there is a great deal of flooding and you can't get to work, customers won't either.  Hugs and Blessings,  Bethe

Anonymous said...

It's a huge, scary looking storm.  I do wish everyone would take the warnings and evacuations seriously.  I am praying for those that do not.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

It's pretty scary when the news media says to either evacuate or face certain death!!!!
Missie

Anonymous said...

I know I'm late reading this, I hope I get to the good news.
Gaz xx

Anonymous said...

Awwwwww hon, you are in my thoughts and prayers, Hugs Lisa