Monday, March 31, 2008

A little more about me ~ warning some of what I've said may "offend"

        

For those of you who don't read my journal often ~ maybe there's a few things you don't know about me.
 
1) I love to cook, I love to bake... if I had more time I'd do it constantly, if I had more money I'd buy kitchen gadgets galore along with spices, herbs - hunt down very different ingredients and recipes that most people in this part of the U.S. don't have or couldn't even imagine.  I'd redo my kitchen to be the most efficient, warm, comfortable place imaginable. 
I don't care for people to be in the kitchen with me when I am cooking - it's something I enjoy doing by myself; at times it's just the therapy of it that fulfills me.  I'm very critical of my own cooking and rarely do I eat what I cook or bake beyond the first couple of bites ~ yet I'm always anxious to find out other people's thoughts, how it tastes to them etc.  I enjoy finding recipes and discovering things from other cultures also, India, Portugal, Spanish, Hungarian, Cuban, African (NOT the "white" African, but the "True" African), Soul Food (Southern Food in America), English, Welsh, Irish, Scottish, Korean, Thailand, Chinese, Japanese, Russian even Native American!  The only one's I have NO interest in are Mexican, German.
 
2) I adore reading.  I have been a avid reader since a very early age.  I can remember coming home from the school library with as many books as I was allowed to check out.  When I went to the public library I would bring home bags of them (books) and read, read and read.  Since my childhood wasn't very happy and I was more often alone (never really had friends) I'd read and go to the other world's and realities that they allowed me to visit, sometimes I never wanted to leave those worlds.  There is one book I remember from a young age that I have read over and over again, it was called "The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew"  it was kind of like "Little Women", "Little Men" ~ you know, the Louisa May Alcott books... it was a world where sisters and brothers loved each other, where times were hard but they always made it, their mothers/fathers were respected and loved their children, kept them safe.  It wasn't something I had in my own life so I found it in those books. I lost that book somewhere along the years and about 5 or 6 years ago I found a copy again, so I have it in my book collection.  I remember when I was a early teen and the book and the movie "The Exorcist"  first came out ~ there was such a ruckus raised about it, protect your family! it was evil etc. etc. etc.  even then I didn't put much hmmm what's the word? heck ~ I just didn't believe them ~ things like that only have power over one if you let them and I didn't.  I was never afraid or intimidated by things of that nature; so me, being the rebel I was snuck the book from my mother (it was ok for her to read but not for me? made it an even more tempting target lol) I read that book over and over again and it never, ever bothered me ~ I just couldn't understand the hulaballoo about this book.  It was fantasy, even at that age I didn't believe in the Christian devil, still don't ~ same thing with the book "The Omen" that never bothered me either  lol  I even dug out my mothers bible and followed along in Revelations and thought oh jeez.  Of course I didn't read JUST books of that genre' ~ I read autobiographies, biographies, anything I could get my hands on about anthropology, archeology esp. Egyptology...history ~ European and American, even some Asian. All things about the Native Americans etc.  so, yes ~ I read a lot.
 
3) (warning, this part may offend some people but it is how I see things and what I believe and NO, I don't feel like this about every Christian, but the majority of them I do)
I've always been a rebel as far as my Spirituality ~ my mother went through every branch (denomination) of Christianity that you can think of almost in her own search for whatever it was she was searching for ~ so in the course of my life I've seen a lot about the religion that I had no respect for, there were very few Christians that I had/have met over the years that epitomized what being a "true Christian" , or behaved, thought, lived in a fashion that the Christian Jesus would have wanted them to.  I found that the religion was taught in a lot of cases through fear, threats, brow beating, hate, ignorance etc. etc. frankly? to me ~ any religion that teaches that the only way the Higher Power, The Creator, God, Jesus will love you is from appealing to your sense of the unknown, your sense of " I will go to hell if I don't DO this", the fire, the brimstone, the absolute control and patriarchal belief that women are a lesser being or someone that should "cleave" to their spouse no matter what, that the man is the BETTER of the whole? is bullshit.  I want NO part whatsoever of a religion that espouses the leaning of faith through fear and intimidation.  Of something that will take advantage of a person's being down and out in order to control or "up" their membership by "saving your soul" ~ Not to mention the hypocrisy that is so much a part of every belief out there, not just Christianity.  Nope, to me FAITH is what is in the heart, what is there without having to see physically ~ it is just there.  You don't need a building to be a church or a place of worship.  You could stand in the middle of a dung hill and it be a "church" ~ just so you know, I've read the Bible front to back quite a few times.... and frankly if Jesus is seeing how the majority of his "followers" behave? he's crying his heart out in sorrow.
One of the people out there who I truly respect as far as their faith is Marie ~ from "Marie's Muses" ~ I don't believe as she does? but she respects my choice to believe as I do and she is truly a kind, warm person.
I'm getting  off of this subject because I get too angry with it.
No matter WHAT  your belief system is? the fact is we ALL need/do have FAITH in something...mine is just different than the majority of yours.
 
Okay, enough for now.  I've shared too much as it is. Hugz*
 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great post I love reading and cooking (I trained as a chef) my iddeal would be to have a cafe cum bookshop old movies are my  other passion I agree with you points on religion not for me personally but have respect for those who have strong faith, but don't preach to me..each to his own.

Take care

Yasmin
xx

PS please add recipes to my shared journal when you have time:

http://journals.aol.co.uk/cayasm/thejlandkitchen/

Anonymous said...

We have so much in common! Hugs, Cin

Anonymous said...

Awww...I am touched by your thoughts about me Teresa.  You have really made me feel good.  I have always tried to be a good follower of Christ, even if that means that I don't always do things the way "this" church or "that" church might tell me how to do them.  I always ask myself, "What would Christ do." and that is how I do it.  I know deep in my heart that Heavenly Father loves all his children, equally.  There is no barrier to this.  We are all the same to him, no matter the sex, the race, etc.  The ground at the foot of the cross is level for everyone who stands there.  I cannot judge another.  I just cannot.  I truly don't think that when we get to our Heavenly Home, we are not going to be divided up by what church we chose or didn't choose to go to.  It will be simply . . . welcome home my child and a loving embrace.  I can never believe that a loving, kind and gentle Father would ever condemn any of His children to hell for any reason, least of all for things that are not their fault.  You know, when I joined the church I go to now, all of my so called "Christian" friends dropped me like a hot potato.  They think I am in a cult and going straight to hell.  Little do they know the freedom my faith gives to me and the empowerment it also gives me to be a better person and the special person that I have discovered that I am and that God always told me I was. (Part 1)

Anonymous said...

Part 2 (haha, it wouldn't let me leave this comment as a whole!)

It truly has helped  me to realize the full potential of what I can be and why I am here.  I think it's pretty wonderful.  Not for everyone I understand, and that's ok too.  I like to think we are all heading in the same direction, we just choose to get there in different ways.  It breaks my heart that so many people give Christianity a bad name because of their ignorant and hypocritical actions.  Christianity, itself is not wrong, or at least not as far as the example that Christ set for us goes.  I believe that those who walk as close to the path that He trod and who love as He did are the true Christians, and Christ taught us to love.  L O V E  That is all.
sorry I went off on a tangent there!!! haha  I think you and I are a lot alike Teresa by reading all of your things here today.  I love, LOVE< LOVED the Five Little Peppers when I was a girl and I still do!  I wanted to be Polly!!
love,
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I realize you are much younger than me but I swear we come from the same mold! Everything you have just said is me (except I like real Mexican and german foods). I even lived in books (still do as often as possible) and the 5 Little Peppers were also my friends, along with the Moffats and the boxcar kids and many others- I could go on but I am amazed and not offended- Dannelle

Anonymous said...

Teresa, I'm not offended at all, we actually have a lot in common, Love and Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

You could never offend me!  Have a good day.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Everyone has a right to worship (or not) in their own way.  If we all respected each other's rights, there would be no terrorists, or war for that matter.  Love is the most important ingredient in everything we do.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

I already knew we were twins (winks)...I'm kinda sick here just wanted to drop in and say I'm thinking about you. By the way you've never offended me, if somehow we ever got off on the wrong foot, I believe we are close enough friends we could easily agree to disagree and work through it. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I was the same way in school.  Sometimes I talked the librarians into letting me take 1 or 2 additional books over the limit home.  I was easily reading 3-400 pages a day.  I couldl hardly wait to finish but widhed the book would go on forever.
Offended? NO, not at all. I like coming to read your journal because I feel we are of nture and with it we are one.   When I've read the Bible and I have many times as you, I also took offense to how women were treated and if God were a loving
God why in the world would he drown his children in the great flood, banish tribes from Babel, blame Eve for MAN's sin?  I have a nieghbor who is an admitted racist and white supremacist.  When I attended church as I had for many yrs I was sickened by people who look down their noses at people that don't share their beliefs.  Being a nurse, and have witnessed the presence of the spirit, the energy of the body, the soul.  I have delivered babies where when they are held there is a look in thier eyes where you see "an old & wise soul".   AND yes I feel that churches take advantage of the vunerable.  hugs, Bethe

Anonymous said...

have a good week:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

I love reading too!  I have two piles of books next to my bed that I have started but not finished yet!  I love to cook too.  Linda

Anonymous said...

My SIL is in a 'bow down and submit to the man' religion.  I don't even know what religion it is, but whatever...... I could go on and on with a rant, but I won't.  I mean, I don't mind whatever one picks as their spiritual path, but if you're going to pick it, be sure about it......not accept it because someone else picked it for you and then complain about 'the rules'.

~Amy